This Has Been An Amazing Year
Seven years ago, 6 Stones was still a “what if?” It all began with the City of Euless and two churches asking if they could do something significant… together! Full of hope, we set out to renovate our first home. Outside of making a big impact on one homeowner, we weren’t sure of the significance of the work at that point, but we were sure that it was significant enough to do again!
It sure felt good, but it also broke our hearts to see the problems in our community…in all communities, really. We just couldn’t see it until we came together. Out of those emotions, we asked: could we create a coalition of churches, businesses, cities and other entities to meet the needs of our community? So we stepped out in faith to see if we could figure it out, and 6 Stones was launched.
Seven years into this, I don’t know if we yet understand the significance behind the “what if”. You see, together we have been able to do some significant things:
- Renovated over 400 homes, just like that first one, in six cities with an seventh joining this coming spring
- Consistently fed 14,000+ people a year who wondered where the next meal would come from Collaborated with 16 other non-profits for resources that serve upwards of one million people in Dallas, Fort Worth and Denton
- Expanded back to school supplies and social services from 1,300 students in the first year to over 5,000 annually
- Mobilized the community to provide Christmas for a growing number of residents; from 1,400 kids in the first year to 3,500 kids this year. This growth was possible because others outside these walls had the great idea behind Pulling for Hope. I’m still amazed by what we have done together!
The Bible tells us, that “to whom much is given, much is required,” and we’ve been given a lot! So, just when we think we have our arms around the big “what if,” the game starts changing! We have been getting consistent calls from other communities, city officials and churches asking us to come to their community and replicate what we’ve done here.
What we have learned is that, if we put our heads down and work really hard together, we’ll find ourselves out in front of something big. We are now in the middle of something that people from academic, public, private and faith communities are all calling a City Transformation Movement.
We started this thing because it felt good and it was the right thing to do. The funny thing is that together we have done all of these things so well that others want what we have in their community, too! It is very flattering, incredibly humbling and scary all at the same time! This is where I need your help!
Here’s our next big “what if”:
How big an impact could we have if we could teach other communities what we’ve learned?
We are beginning to formalize tools and bring together a team to build the answer to that “what if”. We are excited, but also mindful that home base is very, VERY important. We have adopted an old quote as we consider what’s next: “The light that shines the farthest, shines the brightest at home.”
As we wrap up 2015 and we look out into 2016, I need your help to shine as bright as ever! Together, we need to be as faithful with our time, our talents and our treasures as we have ever been. We want to finish the year strong so that we are ready for 2016, both here in our existing communities and as we prepare to tackle that next “what if?” We truly believe that we can teach, train and share what we have learned here in Hurst, Euless and Bedford.
Can we do this together? I know we can – look at what we’ve already done in seven years!
As you consider your year-end giving, could I ask you to consider 6 Stones? No gift is too small. And with what we are being called to do…no gift is too big, either. We will have to invest in others to help them start – just like those first two churches.
Please prayerfully consider what your part would be in the days ahead and for 2016.
- Can you make a significant gift to help us close out the year?
- Will you be a part of 2016 with a consistent monthly gift, not only of your financial resources, but of your time and your talents, as well? There’s a place for every physical talent or skill, and a need for your leadership in just about every area we touch.
Let me say thank you from the bottom of my heart and from our Board and Staff. The joy of getting to do this thing called 6 Stones is immeasurable. I hope you have an amazing Holiday Season! And my prayer is that He, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, will surprise you and yours, with GREAT JOY!
Scott Sheppard – Executive Director
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13
Leave a Comment